The Life of a Wannabe Academic

Detail of the life a new academic. The progress from graduate training to professor. Includes reflections on the job hunting process, research in technology and education, and what it is like to be a new college professor.

Thursday, May 11, 2006

Moving on...

Well after a brief bit of post-rejection depression (the second to worse one next to my rejection letter from Macalester), I am now in the acceptance phase of what will look like my next 6 months or so.

I just finished with a meeting with my advisor on the analyses for my dissertation thus far. I am happy that he is interested in what I found. He can at times be a bit unreadable as to whether what I find interests him. Usually I find that what I find interesting is not what he finds interesting, but we have different interests and agendas in our research interests.

I also was impressed that he asked for MY help in learning what exactly to do with some stuff that he is doing. I am definately sensing a change in our mentor/mentee relationship. I find it becoming more equal, though he is certainly still much more experienced in research than I am.

I am still unsure as to what definatly lies in front of me as far a what my activities will be in the fall. Still bouncing the NDSU idea around, but I really do not want to deal with an hour long drive 5 days a week. My sister-in-law does that already, however it was forced upon her, and she dreads it. Plus with the weather here and gas prices, it may not be worth it. Maybe there will be something at Northland.

Well, it seems thought that I can relax a bit more, take more time with the dissertation and write up something really cool.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home