The Life of a Wannabe Academic

Detail of the life a new academic. The progress from graduate training to professor. Includes reflections on the job hunting process, research in technology and education, and what it is like to be a new college professor.

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Sometimes brilliance goes unnoticed

Last week I received a rejection from a journal that I had submitted my thesis manuscript to. This was after I had returned a third revision of this particular ms. Basically, the reviewer decided that I was unfounded in my conclusions and that I didn't know what I was talking about. Oh, rejection can be brutal...especially when you think what you have is actually good stuff.

My advisor and I both agree that the points that this reviewer found unsurprising and not worth of publication are actually quite interesting and could possibly be very usefull to educators. But so is the publication game in academia. Sometimes what you think is good stuff is really just seen as crap by a reviewer. All that needs to be done is some more revision, some retooling, and then send it off somewhere else.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home