The Life of a Wannabe Academic

Detail of the life a new academic. The progress from graduate training to professor. Includes reflections on the job hunting process, research in technology and education, and what it is like to be a new college professor.

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Adventures in Discussion Boards.

In my last post I mentioned that I was going to start my online discussion boards and that I was sort of uneasy and not sure about what to expect. It has been two days now since I introduced the first discussion board, and I have been checking in from time to time. I must say that it is going much better that I would have thought!

The students are active (at least a sub-set of the whole class) and are actively responding to others posts and eliciting responses from others. There are some very insightful comments and some good constructive criticism going on. All in all, if all the the discussion boards go as this one has I will be very happy. I think that I will try to do some sort of assessment of the class to gleam some of their opinions about the use of this discussion board. Perhaps questions about how much they found it valuable, what was good, what was bad, and if they thought that this exercise helped to increase their knowledge of the content.

Right now I am optimistic about this. Much more than I was a week ago.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home