The Life of a Wannabe Academic

Detail of the life a new academic. The progress from graduate training to professor. Includes reflections on the job hunting process, research in technology and education, and what it is like to be a new college professor.

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Where is the enthusiasm?

This has been a strange beginning of the semester for me this year. Typically I am one of those enthusiastic nerds who just relishes in the thought of a new school year and a new semester. I get very excited about new class, meeting new people, and I just feel more energetic. This year we have just reached the middle of the first full week of classes for the semester and I honestly feel like I just dropped into the middle part of the semester...you know...the part where you are almost going through the motions.

I didn't feel the excitement building that I have in the past. The students, though new to me, seem like they have been in class for weeks already. I am attributing it to the weather. It's been cold, bleak and snowy the past couple of weeks, but I sort of worry that I am starting to get used to the routine. I have been teaching now in some capacity for about 6 years, the last 4 of those with my own courses. I suppose it was somewhat destined to happen. But I didn't think I would feel like this...blah.

It's not that I am being dull and listless in the classroom. I still try to bring enthusiasm everyday. I just don't feel it inside right now. But again, hopefully it is just the advent of the cold winter weather and the transition back to a real schedule that's making me a bit listless.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home