The Life of a Wannabe Academic

Detail of the life a new academic. The progress from graduate training to professor. Includes reflections on the job hunting process, research in technology and education, and what it is like to be a new college professor.

Thursday, July 26, 2007

Packing

We move in just under three weeks and we (well, mostly me) are starting the whole process of packing. I've never really had to pack up my own stuff because Caleb was in the military (they hire movers for you). I have to admit that I don't really mind packing. I am one of those people that enjoys organizing stuff and packing up the house is pretty much one of the ultimate forms of organization. Because we will be temporarily in an apartment there will be come stuff that we won't unpack and so I am busy organizing stuff into categories of will need to unpack and will not need to unpack.

However, packing does make you realize how much stuff you accumulate in just a few years. There will be times when I will need to seriously toss our things that I just don't use anymore, but in general neither of us are pack rats and so I actually don't think that there will be that much that we toss.

It is a bitter sweet feeling packing up this house. This was the first home that we owned and it was a great place....we got really lucky. But now both of us just want the darn thing to sell (yes we are victims of that housing slump)! Also, I am excited to move, but I will also miss this city and the people I have gotten to know here. I am just glad that I will be starting in a job and a college that I think that I will enjoy. I did not have to just 'settle' on a job for the sake of having a job. And with that I am one of the lucky ones I believe.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home