The Life of a Wannabe Academic

Detail of the life a new academic. The progress from graduate training to professor. Includes reflections on the job hunting process, research in technology and education, and what it is like to be a new college professor.

Monday, August 20, 2007

My First Day.

This is the title of the pilot episode of one of my favorite shows "Scrubs" and is a statement about what this day was. My first day of work at my new college. The day I've been waiting for! I am now officially on contract and am now officially getting paid (though the first check doesn't come until late September). Today was hectic and full of new information. Basically the idea today was to completely overwhelm all of us new faculty with information about the history of the college, how the curriculum works, the philosophy of the curriculum, the pay system, how the e-mail system works, etc.

However, even though we got a lot of information today, I do not feel like I have no idea what is going on. Luckily for me my own philosophy and the philosophy of the school line up very well. But it was a long day. I actually went in early to get some work done, then had meetings all day and then finished the work I wanted to do after these meetings were done. I get to do it all again tomorrow and pretty much everyday of this week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home